Wednesday, September 5, 2012

8.4.12

...Also known as one of the best days
EVER.

Let me just tell you the night before
I was up until 2am reading
Gone Girl
referred to me by
Ms. Mary Therese Schmidt
(soon to be MT Barkhausen! more on that later)
also, blogger of
hummingbird wallpaper
.that book.
whew!
If you haven't read it, go.
now.
go read it, then get back at me, k?

So...
Michael had already planned a little surprise for us
for Saturday, August 4th, 2012
And I truly did NOT think anything of it
for many reasons.
One, he usually tries to surprise me
with at least something little like
a reese's pb cup, or lunch/dinner somewhere...
and two, there was so much going on
that it just didn't phase me.
So Saturday morning rolls around
and he told me that we would leave
around 11am. ok, fine.
let me get back to my book until then!
I asked him what should I wear
and of course, like the guy he is
he didn't know..
so he said
gym shoes.
did I listen? No, and to be honest
I'M GLAD I DIDN'T
sheesh, your going to propose and ya tell the girl
gym shoes
hahaha - needless to say, he thew me off!
His mom and dad and aunt were
'going to estate sales'
and his mom asked us if we'd be back for dinner
and mike said
he didn't know.
His mom asking us if we'd be back for dinner ??
that REALLY
threw me off
Plus, there were things keeping my mom busy back home
and I was talking to her on the phone the past week
and she didn't hint toward a thing.
If his mom wasn'tgoing to be 'there'
and my mom wasn't 'there'
it wasn't happening.

Welp, an hour goes by on our 'road trip'
and another hour goes by
and we see clouds rolling in.
I asked if it was going to ruin our plans
and he said maybe,
he didn't know
I was getting suspicious.
But, when would he have had time to get the ring?
His mom asked if we were going to be home for dinner?
clearly, she would know about this, right?
My mom had previous arrangements back home
so she wouldn't be in town for it?
I was convincing myself
that this just was not it.

Close to being two and a half hours
into the drive
I came to the conclusion that he was taking me to wineries.
I kept seeing signs for wineries
and it there were rolling green hills.
it had to be wineries.
We didn't have an eventful summer,
so I just figured he was doing something different.
The drive there was
BEAUTIFUL
despite the intimidating gray skies.

We pulled up to Galena Vineyards
and I could tell he was acting a bit fishy
but I figured he was just annoyed with the rain
Then, "he had to go to the bathroom."
No surprise there, because he has a bladder
the size of a pea.

FINALLY
we are there and walk up to a house.
this is basically the shop of the vineyard's property.
It has the wine and holds the tastings.
So we walk up on this cool wrap around porch
as it starts to drizzle rain
and I turn the corner of the porch
and there I see my sisters
and then my mom
and my brother
and his parents
and his aunt!!!
with their cameras and phone up to their faces
(hello 2012!)
and then
I knew
I am so glad my sist.er took video
because otherwise,
it would have all been a blur:

Now, it started to rain. And,
Mike began by quoting my dad,
(tears. streaming. down. the. face)
"A wise man once said surround yourself with good people
and do the right thing.
Here are the good people..."
cue the dropping down on one knee
(in front of our audience, mind you)
and asked
"Will you marry me?"

I then proceeded to shake his hand,
(shake his hand? yup. that would be awkward me)
told him to get off his knee
and nodded yes
and sobbed.

I was SO HAPPY
SO HAPPY
that our family
(missing his brothers!!!)
were right there so we could hug them
oh, so tight.

He planned a tasting and tour of the vineyards
for all of us ahead of time.
But, unfortunately
it stormed so we had a make shift tasting
WHATEVER
I was
-and still am-
on cloud nine.

Later on, my future
MIL
told me that my future
FIL
mentioned that the timing of the rain
was like my dad crying
of joy.
I melt.
(have you grabbed a Kleenex, yet? or, is that just me?)
{see: Love & Laughter post
re: my angels}


I couldn't have planned a better proposal for myself.
I really couldn't have.
He knows me so well.
While this gives more detail
it doesn't explain the feeling of all of it.

We are still ecstatic.
So excited to plan
honeymoon.
house hunting.
the big day.
and all the big days after...


love and laughter.

No comments: